Sunday, September 02, 2007

sunday reflection - back to basics

I had a good run today. I finally completed 2 rounds around Maha Bodhi, finishing about 2.8km. My physical form has been flopping ever since I started work, with all the stress-related overeating and the lack of energy and discipline to exercise due to a very packed schedule. Now that's all set to change.

The pace, however, was not IPPT passing. But a little bit at a time.

Unfortunately, on the way back I had stepped on some dog poo so I had to spend 15min in the toilet using a defunct toothbrush to scrub away the cakes of excrement from the intricate patterns of my right shoe's contact patch. Imagine, the fine little splatters of poo (after the major cakes are out) that spray out into a repulsive mist of brown after you dig the remaining stubborn swabs out using the ends of the toothbrush bristles, just like how you'd dig out stuff stuck in between your teeth while brushing. Except that everytime the poo splatters into a mist, it seems that the increased contact area of each liberated poo droplet with the air sort of multiplies the overall pungency of the matter.

Not exactly the kind of subject matter you'd like to tackle just before a sumptious dinner prepared by mom, but, yes it happened to me.

I've tendered my resignation and am actively on a job hunt again. I'm looking for marketing positions, media-related and/or writing assignments. Its interesting how different people aim differently when job hunting, both in their expected pay, the types of companies they look for, and the job scopes they consider. I know there's no perfect job, but it should at least match most of your skill sets (read: just ability, not interest) and something you can go to work to everyday.

I know realistically that I'm not a career-minded person, as in I don't envision myself at this post drawing this pay by this age and so on, and tend to be quite clear about the line between work and my personal life. It's not that you can't help out more at the office during peak periods, but there's a line to be drawn for such things. If it happens all too often or the nature of the industry is as such, then it's probably not for me...

You could call it a lazy mindset, very un-model worker like, but I see work as work - a means to earn a living. What's the point of earning enough to enjoy a luxurious lifestyle if you don't have the time or the peace of mind to enjoy it? Rather, keep life simple, and appreciate the family, friends and relationships God has given you... which is a full time job in itself already.

We have a very interesting culture here. Intense work. And intense enjoyment. Is there such a thing?

Intense work I have experienced. But is there such a thing as spending a half an hour quality intensive lunch with your family?

Even if it took place at Westin Stamford, there's no point if all we do is comment on how expensive the food is, and yet we effectively live separate lives. Or an intensive trip to Europe in a week after your bonus? All you do is rush here and there, buying things, not seeing, understanding or appreciating the culture, history and different ways of life they have. Or spending your sweat and blood money on that OSIM chair to solve all the stress you get at work.

"Then I saw that all toil and all skill in work ome from a man's envy of his neighbour. This also is vanity and a striving after wind." - Ecc 4:4 (ESV)

Now this verse is NOT an excuse not to work, because if you look at the context of the following verses :

"The fool folds his hands and eats his own flesh. (but) Better is a handful of quietness than two hands full of toil and a striving after wind." - Ecc 4:5-6

So work, yes, or you'll not be able to earn your keep. But just remember not to chiong in your work for the sake of chionging. Be responsible, but don't sell your soul. When enough is enough, say it is enough.

But then sets us in perspective about what work is. Christians who say they want to work hard earn lots of money to glorify God to show that Christians can do it - beware!

These thoughts and ideas are my own and how I am led to understand the Bible. I'd welcome comments and thoughts on this.

Dinner time!

Jerry

No comments: