Sunday, June 12, 2005

My monitor and I : quit!

Goodbye DBS

It's been slightly more than a month and one week since I began my DBS job. Guess what. I quit it. Somehow I feel that I'm wasting my time on one hand. On the other, it's been getting more and more stressful ever since I got switched over to another task which I have to handle by myself with little proper transitional training. Sulk at the office all day. So many things to handle and keep track. Honestly I don't know what's going on much of the time. It's like I discover so many new things that I'm supposed to do everyday. And I'm like, super-ultra disorganized at that, because I don't know what to do first (ie : the work never stops flowing and somehow I need to know what can be delayed and what can't in order to maintain some semblance of coping)

My supervisor's really nice and I did speak to her at on 2 occassions about this, but really, she's quite helpless as to putting me elsewhere, as she's already out of people herself. I guess that's a consequence of the high staff turnover due to use of excessive amounts of temps. After all, if even their problems and feedback and suggestions take a year to be addressed, how about mine :)

Of course, almost noone apart from my supervisor and my immediate colleages really have any idea of what's been going on, like my aunt's friend LaiKuen and LeeKiao, who gave me sad looks. I must be generating don't-know-what new gossips and suffering image re-evaluations. Whatever.

At least I haven't reached a point wherein I don't have a choice but to stay in such a job out of financial commitment.

It's something I paid for though. The employment agent "Success", which only made a lot of noise at me not serving 1 week's notice, deducted 1 week's pay as per the silly contract which I signed. Never even bothered to ask why I quit. Just called me to keep scolding me. In the first place, it wasn't even the agent that got me the job, I only had to sign on with it as a formality as DBS probably has some contract that all its temp staff must come through this agent though we were actually recommended directly from DBS staff themselves. But legally I did sign that paper. So there's nothing for me to feel indignated about. After all, it's just money.

This has been one experience. Don't work in such a place if you can help it. It's very unfortunate if you land a responsibility that's overloaded and the person who's supposed to help you transition is like, uh, can't be bothered and leaving you to chaos with an attitude that resembles "what, you mean you still can't understand how to do this? how come you're so stupid?"

But God's providene is really wonderful. My supervisor actually gave me another job recommendation on the same day after I quit! Amazing! It's a no-brainer data entry with some interesting perks I can't mention here...

Maybe I should just stay in peasant work. Come to think of it... next holidays I should go get a real education... a Class 4A license...

Well done, thou good and faithful servant

I'd promised jan i'd do an article with this heading. This is to pay tribute to my monitor the Philips 107S. It finally died, as in, there's no longer a screen image. No not one, not even the picture that pops up while you're adjusting the contrast and settings. I thought it must have lasted a good 10 years considering that so many changes in my life have happened yet it hasn't changed. I looked behind and saw its "date of manufacture" to be 1998. So it's only slightly older than my car. But nevertheless, as a victim of hardcore gaming and internet surfing and on-off nonsense courtesy of everyone in the house it has held up a pretty long 6 years.

I remember when my dad bought it. 17" was a big thing back then and it cost $439. By today's 17" CRT monitor standards its footprint is huge and long, probably because newer CRTs need a shorter depth and more integrated electronics. I remember it couldn't fit in the car boot of the Honda because the box was super-huge and had swaths of styrofoam and it had to go into the backseat. And I remember there was also once within 2 years that the on-off switch suddenly spoiled and my dad kept grumbling as he had to carry the whole thing to the repair centre to get it fixed. By the way he did drop it somehow and it has a nice scratch in the center of the screen which you'll notice from a canted angle.

It's now quite yellowed from its original beige colour and has been faithfully shifted in our last 2 housing relocations. Looks like its last stop is with the rag-and-bone man.

I was in Simlim yest with ol'Vanz and CTs looking at new monitors and CTs bought a new 17"Philips CRT @ $209. I was actually interested in a 17" LCD but the $399 models had no DVI input which I reckoned would be needed since I do expect my monitor to last at least 5 years and it'll need some "future proofing". But I think I should research more on things like response time, luminance, contrast ratio as these are new LCD specific display technology terms.

Anyway, the spare monitor from my mom's office is still working fine so there's no hurry.

I'm beginning to miss my old laptop already. Something's really weird about this HP notebook's keyboard. It somehow, impedes my typing. It's always like, lagging or something. Argh.

Sometimes I do look at myself and can't help but think I'm such a lazy selfish incompetent moron. How could I possibly be a good person? But though I doubt myself I never doubt Christ, to whom I attribute whatever goodness and gifts I could possibly ever have.

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
Before the second you turn back
Oh no, be strong
- U2 "Walk On"

To all my brothers and sisters in Christ, don't despair when you're down, or when the world thinks insignificant of you or when you feel yourself unworthy, miserable and downtrodden, and just for a moment, you feel lost and helpless in this life. Presevere in your struggle by faith, and with the eternal hope that is in Christ. Amen.

We love him, because he first loved us. - 1 John 4:19

No comments: